There are so many web design trends today that it can be confusing to choose the best one for your website. At Maximize, we have collaborated the research for you. The results are in. Here are the 7 top web design trends for 2014:
1. Flat design – This design concept was first conceived in 2013, but it is expected to expand in full force this year. Flat design consists of flat shapes that are void of any kind of 3-graphics. It's all about user experience. Companies like Apple Inc. have set the tone when it comes to flat design. Notice that iOS7 was completely focused on accessibility for the user? That’s the general idea.
2. Heavier focus on mobile – The days of focusing on Desktop design only are far behind us. More and more consumers are accessing the Web with their mobile devices than ever before. Depending on your niche, they’re accessing your website from an iPad, tablet, iPhone, Android or Google Glass.
The key is to keep your most important tasks functioning on their mobile devices. For example, you'll want to integrate your email subscriptions and social media functions in your design. You'll also want to make sure your web pages are loading fast on their screen. Accessing your website from a mobile device should be smooth and almost effortless.
3. Videos in place of text – Since the launch of the new HTML5 video tag, this trend has been pushed to the forefront. People who browse the web from a mobile device are more likely to stop and watch a video than read text, according to marketing experts. Plus, videos tend to index faster than traditional text in the search engines. Just keep in mind, you’ll want to cover all bases and still provide some form of engaging text on your page in conjunction with your video.
4. Simple color schemes – Simplicity is a recurring theme in 2014, especially in mobile design. The key is to stick to the main colors that represent your brand – nothing more – nothing less. Make sure you avoid using more than 3-4 colors on your website.
5. Simplified content – This year, the focus is on providing visitors with content that offers a more personal experience. Let's say one of your blog subscribers visits your website, software would actually replace your "subscribe to our blog" with a completely different call-to-action that promotes a completely different product or service. The overall purpose is to help improve conversions by providing more targeted content.
6. Manipulated imagery – We will witness more images with Photoshop filters, color overlays and blurry effects. You will see this popular design trend in web design and in print media (brochures, posters, etc.).
7. Large intro areas quickly replacing sliders – We saved the best trend for last. This trend is quickly becoming increasingly popular by the minute. It consists of an image "intro" area with a small amount of text at the top of a website. For example, you'll see a photo in the background with text in the middle. This is quickly replacing traditional sliders.
Well, there you have it – 7 web design trends you’ll expect to see this year. Hopefully, this will help get your creative juices flowing.
For a quote and free consultation on any of our Web Solutions, contact us or call: 1.866.213.2352.